Yurt. Teepee. Houseboat. Here’s a sampling of glamping options around the Southeast.
IN THE REGION
- Airbnb: Possibilities include greeting dolphins in the morning. You’ll stay on a sailboat or houseboat on the Alabama coast in the (usually) calm Gulf of Mexico. Floating accommodation vary in size (sleeping 2-10 people) and price ($65-$500 per night). Some allow pets. Boating experience not required. For a fee, boat owners will happily take you and your guests for a ride. Info: www.airbnb.com (you’ll need to search by beach, state, city or region).
- GlampingHub: Features some 7,000 sites worldwide, including such Southern sweet spots as a tented cabin in Asheville, N.C., (outdoor shower, camping toilet, fresh-baked goodies delivered to your door); an Airstream trailer in Ellijay, Ga., with a tree house loft; and an upcycled luxury shipping container in Jupiter, Fla., with a bathroom, kitchen and sky deck. The shipping container goes for $90 per night. The others begin at $130 per night. www.glampinghub.com
Westgate River Ranch (an hour south of Orlando): Where the buffalo roam. Glamping at Westgate River Ranch Resort & Rodeo, a 1,700-acre dude ranch and resort for all ages, puts you in a 384-sq. ft. canvas tent (air conditioning, equipped kitchenette, private bath nearby) from $174 per night. A 600-sq. ft. luxury teepee adds a personal concierge who will set up ranch tours and activities from $400 per night. Rail cars sleep four, and feature full bathrooms and kitchenettes for about $250 per night. Pet-friendly. Discounts for Florida and Georgia residents, AAA members, military, government employees and seniors (50+). Call 888.792.1082 or 863.692.1321. Book online at https://www.westgateresorts.com
- Six state parks — Cloudland Canyon, Fort Yargo, High Falls, Red Top Mountain, Sweetwater Creek and Tugaloo (35-121 miles from Atlanta) have a total of 40 yurts. Each houses up to six glampers and comes with comfy beds, screened windows, locking doors and electricity. Heated in winter. Restrooms and hot showers within walking distance. No pets. $75-$100 per night. http://gastateparks.org.
- Savannah: “Tiny Cabins,” aka Camper Cabins, in nearby Skidaway State Park have screened porches, bathrooms and master bedrooms plus sleeping lofts. $125 per night. Reservations strongly recommended. Go online or call 800.864.7275. http://gastateparks.org/SkidawayIsland
- Blue Ridge Mountains: At Blue Bear Mountain Camp in Todd, eco-friendly teepees have queen-size beds, tables, chairs and access to private baths. Leashed pets allowed. $75-$105 per night. Call 828.406.4226. www.bluebearmountain.com
- Myrtle Beach: A CarrollWoods getaway means a private two-room tent with a nicely appointed queen-size bed (linens included), chairs, throw rugs, a ready-to-light fire and a nearby bathhouse. Extras include candles, a breakfast basket, wine tastings and fresh-cut flowers. $85-$100 per night. Call 910.653.5538. www.myrtlebeachcampingwest.com
— Complied by Therra Gwyn Jaramillo