HUNGRY? READ ALL ABOUT WHAT’S NEW AND WHAT’S CHANGING ON METRO ATLANTA’S DINING SCENE
PONCE CITY MARKET is percolating with more and more foodie options and the Manuel’s Tavern watch continues as we celebrate America and look toward another school year. Yes, already.
South City Kitchen Buckhead has added dinner to its lineup. The sophisticated yet casual Southern spot at 3350 Peachtree Road N.E. is open 11:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday; 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday; 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday; and 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday. … Executive chef James Starnes, formerly with downtown Atlanta’s Sun Dial Restaurant, leads the kitchen. … The Buckhead location — which has exclusive desserts like sourdough beignets, bruléed banana pudding and chocolate caramel angel pie — is the third member of the family, joining South City Kitchen Midtown and South City Kitchen Vinings.
- Our May/June column reported failed health inspections at several spots, and we’re happy to report that upon re-inspection, Hal’s the Steakhouse on Old Ivy Road, a Buckhead hub for power meals and deals, received a grade of 98 (A) for its downstairs kitchen and a 100 (A) for it upstairs kitchen. … Thumbs Up Diner in East Point earned a 95 (A) when it was revisited. … To check the scores of Fulton eateries, go HERE or call 404.332.1958.
James Beard award-winner RJ Cooper is in the kitchen at 5Church Atlanta (Peachtree and 14th streets in the Midtown space formerly occupied by Shout). … Cooper won a 2007 Beard prize as best chef in the mid-Atlantic region when he was in D.C. at Rogue 24, Gypsy Soul and Vidalia. At 5Church, which opened June 24, look for “a technique-driven menu.” We’ll let you know what that means when we do. 5Church also has restaurants in Charleston, S.C., and Charlotte, N.C.
- The Manuel’s Tavern website says the Poncey-Highland institution is closed until spring, but as any calendar-watcher knows, spring ended — and summer began — June 20. The latest Facebook update says: “July 22 is the scheduled construction completion date … currently the construction company is one day ahead of schedule.” Employees were being asked to contact management after July 4. Let’s hope!
- Bellina Alimentari, which opened in October in Ponce City Market, has a new executive chef. … Atlanta native Gizzy Barton trained at Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts Atlanta and with Atlanta chef Kevin Rathbun, and has kitchen credits at KR Steakbar, Restaurant Eugene and South City Kitchen. … Her food philosophy: seasonal inspiration fired by locally grown produce. Bellina Alimentari’s leadership team is strictly female, with Barton, general manager Bethany Thompson, owner Tal Baum and creative director Alice Noel Fabi.
- Bacchanalia and Star Provisions are moving on, down the street. The restaurant and gourmet market/food counter run by the husband-and-wife team of Clifford Harrison and Anne Quatrano will move about a mile from their West Midtown spot to the new Ellsworth Office Lofts, 1510 Ellsworth Industrial Blvd. … Look for openings in early 2017 … Little Bach, in the courtyard space below Bacchanalia, will shutter for good but Star Provisions’ take-away portion will stay where it is, in the Westside Provisions Market at Howell Mill and Huff roads.
- Coming to the Battery Atlanta development near the Atlanta Braves new SunTrust Park in Cobb County is Wahlburgers, a burger franchise run by actors Mark and Donnie Wahlburg (and other family members). … It’ll be outside the ballpark and figure prominently in the A&E network reality show about the business. … Expect a Goldbergs Bagel Co. & Deli there, too.
- The Grindhouse Killer Burgers empire, which stretches from Athens to Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International, just keeps growing. The sixth location is open in Decatur (433 N. McDonough St.) with its classic build-a-burger menu and a popular new feature: a rooftop patio and sports bar. … Open 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Sunday-Thursday and 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday. … Look for location No. 7 to open in 2017 on Memorial Drive near the Atlanta Dairies development.
- Botiwalla Indian Street Grill serves an Irani tea/kebab house mash-up with late-night Indian street food in its new Ponce City Market spot (11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m-9:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday and 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday). … The counter-service restaurant’s menu pays homage to chef Meherwan Irani‘s childhood food memories, with high tea (coming soon, check before you go), familiar Indian flavors like chicken tikka, paneer, tamarind and mango pickle, and a menu of grilled meats (lamb, chicken, pork, beef), many tucked inside warm naan.
- Look for two new entries from the Teela Restaurant Group this summer. … Filo’s, a Greek counter-service concept, will serve lamb, pork and chicken pitas; salads; spanakopita (spinach pie); and tiropita (a cheese-and-egg pastry) in Buckhead’s Chastain Square. … A second Tin Can Oyster Bar should open sometime in July in Town Brookhaven.
- Also in July, the owners of the French restaurant Atmosphere in Morningside, say they’re opening a bakery and gift shop in Ponce City Market. … Saint Germain, a 400-sq. ft. stall, plans to sell artisan honey, croissants, baguettes, specialty breads, salads, coffee, specialty sandwiches, macarons and chocolates.
The Woodruff Arts Center recently buffed up the design, atmosphere and menus of its on-site restaurant and rechristened it as well. Twelve Eighty – Inspired Dining, formerly Table 1280, is open 11:30 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday and Saturday; 11:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday and 11:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Sunday. … Unfortunately, that still leaves no spot for theatergoers, High Museum visitors or symphony fans to drink and dine after shows and concerts. … The Twelve Eighty menus focus on what it’s calling “farm-to-fork” and seasonal dining with fresh sandwiches like a Maine lobster roll and Baja (fish) taco at lunch, and “Peachtree Favorites,” entrees including Farmers Vegetable Farro (vegetarian), maple bourbon salmon and an open-face bruschetta steak sandwich at dinner. … Also available: menus for kids; beer, wine and cocktails; the lounge; and desserts only. … Sterling Spoon Culinary Management runs the show here as well as the other dining, bar and event spaces tin the Midtown landmark.
- Cinnaholic Edgewood, a gourmet cinnamon bun concept, became the company’s first East Coast and first Georgia location when it opened June 2. … Owners Shannon and Florian Radke pitched the brand on the TV show “Shark Tank” in 2014. … Customers can choose from 30 frosting flavors and numerous toppings. The buns contain no egg or dairy ingredients and are vegan, kosher and cholesterol-free. Get your bun with Octane Coffee at 1230 Caroline St. N.E.
After 10 years as executive chef, Duane Nutter has left One Flew South, the James Beard Award-nominated restaurant that takes the pain out of connecting flights at Hartsfield-Jackson. … At presstime, a restaurant rep said the Concourse E mainstay hadn’t named his replacement yet but that the menu would stay the same.
Food for Thought, Encore Atlanta’s bimonthly dining column, keeps you up to date on openings, closings and what chefs are up to in one of three categories — well done (reasons for praise), simmering (what’s in the works) and toast (what’s closed, etc.). Email email@example.com.